Friday, August 10, 2012

Spencer

Today is a sad day...

If you know me very well, you know how obsessed I am with pugs. This obessession started back in middle school and I was constantly talking about how much I wanted one. So my freshman year of High School I was given a pug as a Valentines gift from a boy I liked at the time. I came home from school with the cutest little smushed face thing. I showed my mom and she immediately said. "Oh Jordana, you are going to have to make sure this is okay with your dad." I was so nervous to tell him. I just had a gut feeling he would make me give him back. My dad was napping at the time, so I decided to wake him up by putting the puppy by his head. He did wake up and to my surprise he told me I could keep him, on one condition..... That he could name him. My dad has this thing with naming dogs after authors. Of course I was okay with this, as long as I could keep him. He named him Spencer and I think it was the perfect name for him..

Spencer has been such a wonderful dog throughout the years. He let's all the kids play/mess with him and he never tries to bite. He will always lay right next you, basically cuddling with your leg. He loves attention and loves people. But the thing that has been the best about Spencer is that he has been the best companion to my sweet dad and mom through the years. He is definitely a man's best friend.

Spencer hasn't been himself lately so my parents took him in the the vet on Tuesday. The vet took blood work and said they would get back to my parents when the results came him. Wednesday they called with the bad news. Spencer has diabetes....bad. So bad that the only way he could live is to have a serious treatment that would keep him at the Vet for weeks and then he would be dependent on insulin shots everyday. As much as we all love Spencer, it comes to a point where you have to make a decision for what's best for everyone. Including Spencer. He isn't himself. You can tell he is in pain. And he is an older dog. So they made the painful and devastating decision to put Spencer down today. My heart is breaking. Partly because I loved Spencer sooo much, but mostly because I hate that my parents are having to go through this. I know some people might think we are crazy for being so attached to our dogs and that's okay. But for us, they are family. I won't ever forget our crazy sweet pug Spencer and all the happiness he brought me.

We will miss you so much Spencer!

1 comment: