Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Summer Favorites

1. Mango Pico De Gallo - Oh my word........probably my most favorite thing in the world right now. Seriously, have yall tried this stuff? If not, you need to. Pronto. Like today. I don't even really care for tomatos so I've never been a big "pico" person. But something about the mango mixed in makes it oh so heavenly! AND it is so easy and simple to make! Yes! An added bonus. All you need is Onion (white perferably. It's sweeter) a mango, fresh cilantro, tomatoes (I like cherry tomatoes the best) and some lime. Cut up the onion, tomato, mango & cilantro then squeeze the fresh lime juice over and there you have it! The most amazing pico you will ever have in your life! It will look a little something like this...except your bowl should be more full than this. As you can see Shane and I have already almost devoured it all ;)
2. Hats - I will admit since I have been to college I have become a huge baseball cap person. Why? For the simple fact that it is so easy to just throw on a hat and go to class. The less time it takes me to get ready means the more time I get to sleep in. I know...very lazy. But true. This summer has been no differnet than the school year. Still wearing my hats. And in the summer they shade my eyes and face from the sun. Oooo I like that. AND in the summer they have super cute ones. I personally love my floppy hat. I like to call her "Floppy". I know, original. She is my pool and vacation hat. And this little fidora. This is the first fidora I have ever bought and Shane made fun of me endlessly the first time I wore it. But you know what, that is okay. I like my fidora thank you very much!
3. Bright and sparkly nail polish - Last week I was Target, like I always am, and wanted to buy some fun polish. I don't do this often. I looked through the OPI brand, which is typically my favorite, but it's way too expensive. Then looked through the Nicole brand. I liked some of them but they have a new "Beiber" line out and I honestly didn't want to buy any of them because all the names of the polish had to do with Justin Beiber. I know, ridiculous. So I picked up these babies. I had no idea how much they cost but when I got to the checkout I was pleasantly suprised. Only $1.99! Deal of the day for sure. I will only be buying this brand now when I need polish.
4. Chicken Salad...a healthier kind - I don't know about yall but I am a big time lover of chicken salad. Love it love it. And if I had it my way I would eat it everyday. BUT because it's not the healthiest choice out there I have to refrain myself. So when my mother in law told me about the recipe for a lighter chicken salad I almost died! The secret to making it lighter......GREEK YOGURT. I add in all the usual stuff I like in my chicken salad: Chicken, grapes, onion, celerey, salt, pepper, a little bit of lemon juice, dash of dill, little bit of mustard but when you get to the maynaisse part you don't put as much. Just use a small amount. Then compensate for the small amount of mayo with plain greek yogurt. This will help the salad to have the same consitency as normal but with much less fat and calories!  Easy huh? And super yummy.

5. Keurig brand sweet tea lemonade - To all Keurig owners: If you love tea this is a must have! I have fallen madly in love with Keurig coffee maker. To the point where it's the only way I like my coffee. Yikes. I didn't realize that it also makes wonderful tea! This particular one is a mix of tea and lemonade! Perfect treat for hot summer days :)

1 comment:

  1. I love your posts about food! And, I love listening to your music on here!

    ReplyDelete