Wednesday, July 20, 2011

I love Bethenny

I recently stumbled upon Bethenny Frankel's website and completely fell in love. If you don't know who Bethenny is, she use to be a Real Housewive of New York City and now has her own show. She is also a natural food chef. That's the part I really like! Anyways, I love her site because she posts her favorite recipes. She is a health nut so her recipes are always healthy and nutritious. And this is why I really fell in love. I LOVE her recipes. This was the first one I tried out and it has quickly become one of my favorite things to make. I have always been a fan of alfredo sauce or cream sauces, but this one is a lighter version. And it is SOO tasty. YESS! I made a few slight changes to her recipe...and I think it made it even better! So here it is: Penne a la Carbonara [Although I used bowtie pasta instead :)]

Ingredients-
  • 1 box whole wheat penne (I used bowtie because that is all I had)
  • 1.5 Tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 Tablespoon butter
  • 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan
  • 6 pieces turkey bacon chopped
  • 1.5 teaspoons salt
  • 1.5 teaspoons pepper
  • 1/3 cup skim or soy milk
  • 1 egg beaten
  • 3 Tablespoons chopped parsley (optional)

Preparation-
Bring a pot of salted water to a boil, then add the penne pasta. In a large skillet, sauté turkey bacon until crispy. Then coarsely chop. Place bacon back in the skillet. Cook pasta al dente, drain, leaving pasta slightly wet (adds texture and thickness). Add the pasta to the skillet with the bacon, add the remaining ingredients and fold until well mixed. Garnish with parsley.
What I did
When I made this I only had 2 pieces of bacon instead of 6 like it calls for. So I was trying to think of what I could add to make up for it. I decided to add some chopped onion and mushroom. Such a good addition! I cooked the bacon a little in my pan then added the mushroom and onion to it to sauté  all together. This was so easy and sooooo tasty!


Enjoy! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment