Friday, April 20, 2012

Bye Bye Wisdom Teeth

This past Friday I had my wisdom teeth taken out. Yep, those darn wisdom teeth. Which I really would like to know why they are called "Wisdom" teeth. Because for all I know, they only cause problems.

I was pretty nervous about getting the suckers pulled. I have heard such horror stories about people getting them out. Some people's cheeks swell up like chipmunks, some get terrible dry sockets, some are in pain for weeks, some can't eat hard food for weeks, some have to lay on the couch for weeks. You know all things I did not want to happen to me. I had the option to just take a sleeping pill before the operation and that be my sedation but I was so terrified of it not working and me being awake during the removal that I called my dentist the day before and told them I changed my mind and wanted to have IV sedation instead. I'm sure they thought I was crazy.

Overall the surgery went smoothly. I came to very quickly after and suprisingly did not have much pain for the first two days. My parents had come in town to help with taking care of me. They really are the best. I was so sure I would be like one of those people from the wisdom teeth horror stories so I was all for them coming in town to help. Well I'm actually really always for them coming in to see me :) But, I will say, I felt kind of bad that they came all that way for me to feel fine those first two days! But of course right after the leave, the pain set in. It was a tolerable pain, but defintely not comfortable. So I've been dealing with that pain pretty much all week & I've been popping advil like it's candy. Overall, my experience was nearly as bad as I expected. BUT still not enjoyable. Though how could pulling teeth ever be enjoyable?
A few pictures from the night before surgery..

Then right after surgery. Still smiling! haha
Post-surgery milkshakes were probably the best part!
& a sweet picture of my dad :)

1 comment: