Saturday, July 6, 2013

A Baby Story

I've been writing a little each day on this post. Trying to get it done before Hutton turns two weeks old! I cut it pretty close...but here it is! Hutton's birth story.. :-)


Sunday evening (June 23rd) Shane and I headed to the hospital to check in and start the beginning of our multi-day induction. Multi-day Induction meant that I would start a medicine called Cervadil on Sunday evening that basically helps with progressing me so that when they started the pitocin the following day, it might help things go faster. I will be completely honest. I did not think the Cervadil would help at all. I was very pessimistic. I had heard from others (including my own sister) how it didn't help them progress at all and I was just certain I would be the same way, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to give it a shot. So, we get all checked into labor and delivery and I received the Cervadil. Literally within one hour I was having very consistent contractions. Like...every three minutes. I thought this was kind of odd since this medicine was not necessarily suppose to put me in labor, but figured this must be normal. The doctor prescribed me Ambien to sleep that night since it would be really important to get a good nights sleep before being induced bright and early the next morning. I gladly took it and agreed that getting a good nights sleep was crucial. Well, the contractions continued all night long and increased in intensity. Even with the Ambien, I got ZERO sleep. The doctors were suppose to come and wake me up at 5 am to get everything going with the induction, but shortly before 5 am my water broke. I was in shock. It was just how I imagined too. Felt like a water balloon had burst. I told Shane to call for the nurse. She came and checked me and said I was at about 2 cm. A TWO! After having all these contractions all night long, that was all I was at? Shesh. The contractions continued and when they checked me again about an hour later I was at 4 cm. I was in active labor and did not even need the Pitocin. Just craziness! Since I was now at 4 cm, it was finally time to get the epidural! YES! This was about at 6:30-7:00 am ish. Well, I waited for about an hour for my epidural and the whole time waiting I was hurting pretty bad. Contractions are no joke! I just knew the anesthesiologist would come walking through the door any minute with that glorious little epidural that would help numb the pain. But....they never came. (They were busy with someone else and had not gotten the chance to get to me) At the end of the hour of waiting, I asked my nurses to check me again. I was in some serious pain. They did and I was at 8 cm! Holy cow. How did that happen? Wasn't this suppose to take a long time? Like, all day labor? That was what I was expecting. Shortly after being told I was at an 8 my mother, sister and mother in law showed up. When I saw my mom, I told her how badly I needed my epidural and she told me the news I definitely was not expecting to hear... "Honey, you aren't getting an epidural." And that's when I cried. Excuse me??? This can't be. I had always planned for an epidural. That was the PLAN! Well...God had other plans for us ;-) I was dilated too much and it was too late for the epidural. I couldn't believe it, but sucked it up and realized I was just going to have to push through the pain. Around 8:30 am it was time to push... I pushed for about 30 minutes. Hutton Allan Haught came into the world at 9:16 am. Weighing a nice 8 lbs 4 oz and was 21 inches. It was honestly the most amazing and surreal moment of my life. I couldn't believe he was finally here and he was ours. He was the most beautiful little boy I had ever seen with a head full of hair! God blessed us with the most amazing gift and we could not feel more lucky to have this perfect little guy in our lives.

The first two weeks have been surprisingly easier than I thought. Don't get me wrong, being a parent is not easy, but we are just so incredibly happy that it seems to make things easier. Hutton is a very laid back baby. Does not cry much and is very content. He wakes up only once a night (thank you little guy, your parents are so grateful for this!) and eats like a champ! We love our handsome little man!

Hutton's birth was not at all like I expected. But that is perfectly fine with me. I have learned you can't go into it with ANY expectations or plans really. It will happen the way it is suppose to! Never in a million years would I have thought I would not have an epidural or that my labor would be so fast. But it all turned out fine and I have a healthy and beautiful little boy! God is so good!

On our way to the hospital!



No comments:

Post a Comment